[Libguestfs] mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

Miles Wolbe miles at tinyapps.org
Sun Oct 2 06:56:16 UTC 2016

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me whether guestfish can mount exFAT partitions?

I created a full disk image of a drive which contained a single exFAT partition.

Was able to mount it with kpartx/FUSE:

# kpartx -a -v disk.img
add map loop0p1 (252:2): 0 39070078 linear 7:0 2
# mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt -o ro
FUSE exfat 1.2.3
# ls /mnt
foo bar baz etc

but not guestfish:

$ sudo apt install libguestfs-tools

$ guestfish --version
guestfish 1.32.2

$ guestfish -a disk.img
><fs> run
><fs> list-filesystems
/dev/sda1: exfat
><fs> mount /dev/sda1 /
libguestfs: error: mount: /dev/sda1 on / (options: ''): mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'
><fs> q

Results identical under both Linux Mint 18 and Fedora 24 (which was running a slightly newer version of guestfish, 1.34.2).

Sincerely,

Miles

P.S. I read about installing libguestfs-winsupport for NTFS in the FAQ, but it appears to only be for RHEL: https://access.redhat.com/discussions/623573#comment-595723