[Libguestfs] virt-builder and Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial no access issue

P J P ppandit at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 19:15:19 UTC 2016

   Hello,

I created an Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial guest using virt-builder(1) with

   # virt-builder ubuntu-16.04
         -o /var/lib/libvirt/images/ubuntu-16.04.qcow2
         --size 10G --format qcow2
         --firstboot-command 'dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server'
         --arch x86_64

And imported it to libvirt with

   # virt-install --import --name ubuntu-xenial --ram 2048
         --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/ubuntu-16.04.qcow2,format=qcow2
         --os-variant fedora23
         --graphics none

These successfully create the Ubuntu guest and import it as well. But

  - when I tried to access it using 'virsh console', it connects and shows a
    blank screen. No interaction whatsoever.

  - When I tried to access it via ssh, it did not accept the root password that
    virt-builder had displayed before exiting.

  - I tried to reset root user password with virt-customize(1), but even that
    did not help.

In short, we have an Ubuntu guest that is not accessible anyhow.

I've reserved a beaker machine and have installed Ubuntu guest as above.

    $ ssh root at ibm-x3550m4-7.gsslab.rdu2.redhat.com + r3dhatd0tc0m

Please feel free to have a look at it. Thank you.
--
  - P J P
47AF CE69 3A90 54AA 9045 1053 DD13 3D32 FE5B 041F