[Libguestfs] libguestfs and exporting to OVA/OVF

Emmanuel Kasper emmanuel at libera.cc
Thu Oct 20 20:43:26 UTC 2016

Hi
I've been looking for a standalone tool to create OVA/OVF VM files based
on a disk image and found none. So I was thinking to write my own.
Would you be interested in having such a tool in the libguestfs umbrella ?

My aim is too have a free toolchain to build VirtualBox images for
Debian (for Vagrant to be more exact, see
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Cloud/VagrantBaseBoxes)

Interface for such a tool would be something like

disk2ova --memory 2G --controller sata --network E1000
myDiskImage.{raw,qcow2}

based on the command line switches, a XML ovf would be created and
packed with the disk image in a OVA file.

There is some python code around which does that, for example the ganeti
export code and imagefactory

https://github.com/redhat-imaging/imagefactory/blob/master/imagefactory_plugins/ovfcommon/ovfcommon.py#L69

but nothing available as a standalone tool.

I am afraid I can only contribute Perl code.

Emmanuel