[Libguestfs] virt-p2v migration

Tomáš Golembiovský tgolembi at redhat.com
Sat Feb 4 13:10:30 UTC 2017

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 10:15:57 +0000
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 07:29:07PM +0000, cmc wrote:
> > Looking on our firewall, it will timeout inactive connections after 15
> > minutes of inactivity.
>
> Yes, this will likely break virt-p2v.
>
> > I'm guessing there is no keepalive in the control connections.
>
> The default for ssh is to use TCP keepalives.  However those are very
> infrequent (once every 2 hours IIRC), so it won't prevent a firewall
> with such a short timeout from breaking virt-p2v.
>
> Easiest thing here would be to fix the firewall.  15 minutes is a very
> short timeout.  Doesn't that cause all kinds of problems for regular
> SSH usage?

SSH client has option ServerAliveInterval (in seconds) that instructs
SSH to send, after period of inactivity, a message through control
connection and request a response from server. The default is 0, i.e. no
such messages are sent. The intent is mostly to detect early when
connection was dropped, but it should also help you with your firewall.

Hope this helps,

    Tomas

Tomáš Golembiovský <tgolembi at redhat.com>