[Libguestfs] ntfs-3g data deduplication support in guestmount for creating file based back-ups on visualization platform

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 21:18:25 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:05:36PM +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Is there a way I can access the /var/log/syslog of an running
> guestmount instance to get the grep ntfs-3g /var/log/syslog
> information?

Not of a running guestmount, no, however if you're using the
API then you can use the debug "back door" to read dmesg and
log files.  There is no documentation for it, but you can find
out what is available by browsing the sources:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/daemon/debug.c#L83

Something like:

  const char *cmd[] = { "cat", "/var/log/syslog", NULL };
  guestfs_debug (g, "sh", (char**)cmd);

or the equivalent in other language bindings.