[Libguestfs] compression method for qcow2?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 10:54:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 05:04:07PM +0800, 陳培泓 wrote:
> I found guestfs_compress_out do the compression to gzip, bzip2,
> compress...etc.
>
> I want to compress qcow2, and I found details about qcow2 compression in
> https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/qcow-image-format.html
>
> The QCOW format supports compression by allowing each cluster to be
> independently compressed with zlib.
>
> Can I do that with guestfs_compress_out?

No, guestfs_compress_out is nothing to do with qcow2 compression.

The only way to create a qcow2 compressed filesystem is
‘qemu-img convert ... -c -O qcow2 ...’

The qcow2 format does not support incrementally writing compressed
clusters, and so it's not something which libguestfs can do unless
qemu's qcow2 block driver changes in future.