Re: [Libguestfs] Appliance image. Why raw?

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 16:04:53 CEST Pavel Butsykin wrote:
> I noticed that raw is intentionally used as image format for appliance
> image. So I would like to ask, is there any reason to use raw as image
> format for appliance?

In addition to what Rich already said, there are a couple of points:
a) a raw image is generally always faster, since it is a direct
bit-by-bit representation of the disk
b) because (a), raw is generally more universally understood; the UML
backend (not much tested these days) supports only raw disks (which
include the appliance), since that's what the kernel can handle

--
Pino Toscano