[Libguestfs] FYI: Changes to libguestfs.org web hosting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 30 14:46:44 UTC 2017

The former libguestfs.org website was running on an old server in a
cellar with "Beware of the Leopard" on the door.  The server was
overdue for retirement and is about to be decommissioned.

I have moved and split up the hosting as follows:

* The main website http://libguestfs.org is on a temporary server.

  The medium term plan is to move it to Openshift, but I've been
  having a lot of trouble getting access to my account, so this might
  not happen for another week.  It should also allow us to enable TLS
  in the near-ish future.

* The http://libguestfs.org/download directory has been moved to
  + http://builder.libguestfs.org  ,
  + http://archive.libguestfs.org  and
  + http://download.libguestfs.org
  Existing file and directory URLs should redirect automatically.

* http://builder.libguestfs.org contains the virt-builder templates
  previously located at http://libguestfs.org/download/builder/

  Because that URL is baked into all sorts of Linux distros, I have
  set up redirection which should ensure that the old URLs keep
  working forever.  But I will also submit an update to all our stable
  branches with the new URL.

  In my testing virt-builder seems fine, but more testing would be
  useful here.

* http://archive.libguestfs.org hosts old tarballs of ancient versions
  of libguestfs, and is of historic interest only.  The main reason to
  split this out was to reduce the amount of data that we need to
  store in Openshift.  As above, redirects should automatically deal
  with old URLs.

* http://download.libguestfs.org hosts only tarballs for current
  stable and development branches.  Once a branch becomes unsupported
  I'll move it to http://archive.libguestfs.org

  Note also that http://libguestfs.org/download/binaries/appliance
  which is baked into some distros (particularly Gentoo) has moved.
  Again, redirects should take care of everything.

All of this should be transparent to everyone - ie you shouldn't need
to do anything at all.  But as with all these things, if you find
something is broken, please let me know.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW