[Libguestfs] Virtualbox vdi Input Format and man pages

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Oct 8 22:00:28 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 02:41:30PM -0600, stef204 wrote:
> The question is:  What am I getting extra by using the -i libvirtxml option as opposed to the more plain:
>
> % virt-v2v -i disk Win7-convert.vdi -of qcow2 -o local -os /mnt/partition2

Guests consist of the disk images, plus copious metadata.

When you give just the disk image to virt-v2v (‘-i disk disk.img’), it
has to make many guesses about the metadata.  See this file for
details:
https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/input_disk.ml

Sometimes these guesses will be suboptimal, and by supplying the
correct metadata you can get a more correct conversion (‘-i libvirtxml’
or even better getting the true metadata from VirtualBox).