[Libguestfs] Virtualbox vdi Input Format and man pages

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Oct 8 15:02:02 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 08:47:34AM -0600, stef204 wrote:

> 08.10.2017, 08:09, "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com>:
>

> > I guess we should probably link to the real documentation:
> >
> >   https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html
> >
> > However virt-v2v has its own parser for libvirt XML and only parses a
> > (very) small subset of these fields. Generally you only need to take
> > that template and change a few fields, name, memory size, number of
> > vCPUs, and make sure there is one <disk> section per disk and one
> > <interface> section per virtual network adaptor. That'll cover 99% of
> > use cases.

BTW here is the actual parser, which is the source of all truth
on this subject:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/parse_libvirt_xml.ml
https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/parse_libvirt_xml.mli

Of course it's quite complex but it should be possible to grep through
that file to answer simple questions such as "does virt-v2v look
at <some field> in the XML or not?".