[Libguestfs] guestfs_readdir protocol limit

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 14:33:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 03:55:05PM +0300, Maxim Kozover wrote:
> Hi Richard!
> Tell me, please, is there any chance you have an (unofficial) patch ready
> or almost ready that removes a protocol limit from guestfs_readdir (returns
> a large answer in chunks in a loop etc)?

Yes this is one of the very few remaining APIs which has a
protocol limit.

> I happen to have a need to use libguestfs fuse accessing the directory with
> a million of files in it, the individual files are accessed ok, but the
> directory...

This is a genuine bug.  Can you file one?

If you can get away without using fuse (ie. using the API directly)
then a workaround would be to look at how our visitor code works:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/common/visit/visit.c#L70

where it only uses APIs which are unlimited, eg:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/lib/file.c#L507

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v