[Libguestfs] Using libguestfs to sandbox VM builds

Emmanuel Kasper manu at debian.org
Thu Sep 28 16:02:04 UTC 2017

Hi
Debian has a couple of tools like fai-diskimage and vmdebootstrap, to
build VM images, but they require being root, as these loopmounts
partitions on which deboostrap is executed. Maybe installing grub2 needs
access to block devices too.

I was thinking of using libguestfs to sandbox those processes, by
passing a build VM as a disk image and my build directory as a 9pfs
mount to the appliance, and calling the build command via $g->shell().

Any pitfalls I should be aware while doing this ?

Emmanuel