[Libguestfs] firstboot randomly can't find script

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 10:52:33 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 09:31:48PM -0400, Charles wrote:
> I am running the stock libguestfs on latest Ubuntu 16.04 (1:1.32.2-4ubuntu2).
>
> My guests are also Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> I am running virt-sysprep with --firstboot-command 'dpkg-reconfigure
> openssh-server'.
>
> This works 90% of the time, but occasionally when a new guest first
> starts it can't find the script:
>
> ~# cat virt-sysprep-firstboot.log
> /etc/init.d/virt-sysprep-firstboot start
> Scripts dir: /usr/lib/virt-sysprep/scripts
> === Running /usr/lib/virt-sysprep/scripts/0001-dpkg-reconfigure-openssh-server
> ===
> /usr/lib/virt-sysprep/firstboot.sh start
> Scripts dir: /usr/lib/virt-sysprep/scripts
> /etc/init.d/virt-sysprep-firstboot: 35:
> /etc/init.d/virt-sysprep-firstboot:
> /usr/lib/virt-sysprep/scripts-done/0001-dpkg-reconfigure-openssh-server:
> not found
>
> As such, I cannot ssh into these guests without opening them manually
> on the host and running the dpkg reconfigure command.
>
> This bug seems similar, but I cannot find other reports or fixes:
>
> Any suggestions to debug or workaround?

For debugging you'll need to run virt-sysprep with the -v -x
options and see what is being installed, and then compare that
to what runs when the guest boots.

Unfortunately the code for installing firstboot scripts on Debian
and Ubuntu guests is pretty complex:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/customize/firstboot.ml

More so, because it will install both systemd and SysV-init-style
scripts in some circumstances.

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/e79286f71738d9385157d9e87211be02645722c3/customize/firstboot.ml#L108

You could also try a more recent version of libguestfs, since 1.32 was
released over 2 years ago.