[Libguestfs] [ovirt-users] Slow conversion from VMware in 4.1

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:20:14 UTC 2018

Hello Richard,

unfortunately upgrading virt-v2v is not an option. Would be nice, but
integration with vdsm is not yet ready for that options.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
[cut]
> I don't know why it slowed down, but I'm pretty sure it's got nothing
> to do with the version of oVirt/RHV.  Especially in the initial phase
> where it's virt-v2v reading the guest from vCenter.  Something must
> have changed or be different in the test and production environments.
>

> Are you converting the same guests?  virt-v2v is data-driven, so
> different guests require different operations, and those can take
> different amount of time to run.

I'm not migrating the same guests, i'm migrating different guest, but
most of them share the same os baseline.
Most of these vms are from the same RHEL 7 template and have little
data difference (few gigs).

Do you know which is the performance impact on vcenter? I'd like to
tune as best as possible the vcenter to improve the migration time.

We have to migrate ~300 guests, and our maintenance window is very
short. We don't want continue the migration for months.

Luca

--
"E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle

"Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>