[Libguestfs] [nbdkit] Plan for nbdkit 1.4?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 18:12:14 UTC 2018

> I'd like to suggest that we release nbdkit 1.4 (next stable branch) soon.
>
> The last stable branch was effectively released in January this year
> (although I didn't actually implement the stable/development branch
> policy until April).
>
> There has been a lot of development since then:
>
>   - Switch to defaulting to newstyle protocol.
>   - On-demand ramping of thread pool.
>   - TRIM support in the file plugin.
>   - nbdkit_parse_size rewritten.
>   - Test IPv6 connections.
>   - Reworked error handling.
>   - New log filter.
>   - New blocksize filter.
>   - New nozero filter.
>   - New fua filter.
>   - New can_zero, can_fua methods and better handling of FUA.

I proposed python plugin implementations of these, but never got around
to testing that they worked in both python 2/3, and never extended my
proposal to cover other languages like perl, so the python patches
remain uncommitted.  That should not be the basis for avoiding a stable
release, though.

>   - New nbdkit_realpath function.
>   - Better handling of shutdown.
>   - New ext2 plugin.
>   - Bash tab completion.
>   - New zero plugin.
>   - New random plugin.
>   - New PKG_CHECK_VAR variables.
>   - TLS-PSK authentication.
>   - New Tcl plugin (posted for review).
>   - Of course numerous smaller bug fixes and improvements.
>
> I'm also going to propose that we try to get 1.4 into RHEL 8, which
> means we will need to do this branching fairly quickly, in the next
> few weeks.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I'm out the next couple of weeks, which means I won't be able to help
with any final patches/branching/backporting until after July 20, but
again, don't let my schedule be the driving factor.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266