[Libguestfs] Preparatory work on virt-v2v -o openstack mode

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 10:33:17 UTC 2018

(Apologies if I missed anyone off the To: line.  Please add anyone
else who is interested, but keep the libguestfs public mailing list)

I did some preparatory work on adding the new ‘virt-v2v -o openstack’
output mode.  I've put it in a private (non-FFwd) branch here:

  https://github.com/rwmjones/libguestfs/tree/openstack

Most of the work was refactoring virt-v2v so that we have all of the
metadata available at the point where we create the disks.  For
Openstack this is expected to be important because (we believe) we
have to set properties on the Cinder volumes at creation time and
won't be able to modify those properties later.  All of this work is
upstream in libguestfs >= 1.39.8.

The second part was adding the machinery for the new output mode.
This is the extra commit that you see in the branch above.  Note this
commit does not actually do anything useful so far.  The important
file to look at is v2v/output_openstack.ml.

Some other random notes:

- Before you try to build from source, read this page carefully:
  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-building.1.html

- Upstream in virt-v2v we have settled on using Python 3 only.  So all
  code submitted should be written in Python 3, you will have to
  install python3-*client, etc.

- For RHV, in RHEL 7 we added a downstream patch which converts the
  code from Python 3 to Python 2.  Of course this will not be needed
  in other Linux distros.

- You must supply a Keystone auth URL using ‘-oc’ (perhaps we will
  allow this to be overridden by OS_* environment variables).

- How will we select "where" the guest is going to go?  eg. What
  region, what Cinder storage pool, etc.  (And other things that may
  be relevant which I don't even know to ask).

- Unclear on how auth will work, so I just assumed username/password
  for now.

- I am on holiday until Wednesday 1st.