[Libguestfs] virt-v2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 11:37:10 UTC 2018

[Copying to the public mailing list]

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:27:41AM +0000, SOUTHWICK Matthew wrote:
> Regarding virt-v2v
>
> CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
> virt-v2v-1.36.10-6.el7_5.2.x86_64
>
> I have to use virt-v2v-copy-to-local and then convert and squirt into my export domain, we do not have vSphere.

You should be able to use the SSH method.  It's faster and easier to
use than virt-v2v-copy-to-local, but you have to make a small
configuration change to ESXi to enable SSH access:

  http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#input-from-vmware-vmx

Even better than that would be the NFS method, but that's not always
possible.

> I am in the process of converting/migrating from ESXi 5.5 to
> oVirt. Things were working fine, until I updated the OS, at which
> point:
>
> 1.  no matter what I do to my "password" file, virt-v2v will not
> read it, prompts twice per virtual disk.

Usually would indicate that the password in the file is wrong.
You might want to try:

  echo -n 'the-password' > password-file

> 2.  Times out if copy to local takes longer than 33 minutes on the
> first disk. Cant find the second or subsequent disks. I did notice
> that you had included a timeout of 2000 which I assume to be
> seconds? And would equate to the 33 minute issues I have.

Indeed, but you should never hit this timeout.

I think better not to use virt-v2v-copy-to-local and try the SSH
method instead, it's just easier all round.

If virt-v2v still fails, then run

  virt-v2v -v -x [... rest of the parameters ...] |& tee /tmp/log

and upload the /tmp/log file to a pastebin somewhere and post the link
on the mailing list.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW