[Libguestfs] Build and testing issues

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Jun 24 16:44:21 UTC 2018

While setting up a development environment on a clean Fedora 28 host,
I got some errors.

I followed the instructions in
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-building.1.html

    dnf builddep libguestfs
    ./autogen.sh

autogen.sh failed:

./configure: line 57694: syntax error near unexpected token `external'
./configure: line 57694: `AM_GNU_GETTEXT(external)'

Checking the entire log show that autoreconf failed, but the script
continued:

m4/guestfs-libraries.m4:151: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
library
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: true --copy
m4/guestfs-libraries.m4:151: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
library
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
configure:57694: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

We can fix this by adding "set -e" in bootstrap. Any reason not to do this?

I found old thread here about this:
https://gb.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2018-February/msg00017.html

Richard suggested to install gettext-devel, and it solve this issue after
git clean -dxf and running ./autogen.sh again.

So it seems that gettest-devel should be in build requirements.

After fixing the first issue I found that jansson-devel is also missing.

Should'nt we add these packages to the build requirements?

Next issues - trying to test upload to ovirt, I found that these
packages should be installed:

nbdkit
nbdkit-plugin-python3
python3-ovirt-engine-sdk4

Should we document these requirements in the rhv-upload-plugin?

Nir