[Libguestfs] Build and testing issues

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 16:09:37 UTC 2018

On 06/24/2018 11:44 AM, Nir Soffer wrote:
> While setting up a development environment on a clean Fedora 28 host,
> I got some errors.
>
> I followed the instructions in
> http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-building.1.html
>
>      dnf builddep libguestfs
>      ./autogen.sh
>
> autogen.sh failed:
>
> ./configure: line 57694: syntax error near unexpected token `external'
> ./configure: line 57694: `AM_GNU_GETTEXT(external)'
>
> Checking the entire log show that autoreconf failed, but the script
> continued:

> m4/guestfs-libraries.m4:151: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
> library
> autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
> autoreconf: running: true --copy
> m4/guestfs-libraries.m4:151: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
> library
> autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
> configure:57694: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
>        If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>        See the Autoconf documentation.
> autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
>
> We can fix this by adding "set -e" in bootstrap. Any reason not to do this?

Yes. 'set -e' is a crutch, and does not behave intuitively when any
shell functions are in use.  It is better to avoid it and instead
directly code up proper error checking instead of relying on the crutch.

> I found old thread here about this:
> https://gb.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2018-February/msg00017.html
>
> Richard suggested to install gettext-devel, and it solve this issue after
> git clean -dxf and running ./autogen.sh again.
>
> So it seems that gettest-devel should be in build requirements.

There's a difference between tarball build requirements (which should
not need running ./autogen.sh, nor having the autotools installed), and
development building from a .git checkout (which DOES need more tools).

> After fixing the first issue I found that jansson-devel is also missing.
>
> Should'nt we add these packages to the build requirements?
>
> Next issues - trying to test upload to ovirt, I found that these
> packages should be installed:
>
> nbdkit
> nbdkit-plugin-python3
> python3-ovirt-engine-sdk4
>
> Should we document these requirements in the rhv-upload-plugin?
>
> Nir

Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org