[Libguestfs] proposal for feature to add global setting for libguestfs emulation type

Raghu Toppur toppur at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:08:18 UTC 2018

The man page for libguestfs says:

export LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND_SETTINGS=force_tcg
will force the direct and libvirt backends to use TCG (software emulation)
instead of KVM (hardware accelerated virtualization).

However, our application has many services (run by different users) which
make use of libguestfs tools, and it is painful to have to set this
environment variable for each script and service.

One alternative seems to be to rebuild the libguestfs library with
force_tcg baked in, but I need to support platforms.

Is there one location I can specify this setting to force tcg?

I would have thought that /etc/libguestfs-tools.conf might be the place,
but that only allows a read_only attribute to be set.

Thanks
--
Raghu Toppur