[Libguestfs] virt-builder download issues

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 24 20:45:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 08:25:49PM +0000, Alex Buchanan wrote:
> I'm having trouble downloading templates (ubuntu-18.04, among
> others) using virt-builder. The downloads get to about 50% (or 13,
> or 62) and then stall. wget easily downloads the files quickly.

We recently moved over to a new server, and (unlike the previous one)
this should be reliable.

All that virt-builder is doing to download the files is running the
curl command:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/a4e3b7c0598370d8d068b21909da95b6031eb688/builder/downloader.ml#L115

Could there be a problem with curl?

> I'd be happy with working around this by manually placing the images
> in the cache directory, but I can't seem to figure out the
> appropriate placement. virt-builder doesn't find the cached file.

I don't really recommend this, but the filename is just
~/.cache/virt-builder/<os-version>.<arch>.<revision>
so as long as you get the filename right virt-builder should see it.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v