[Libguestfs] Further nbdkit patches for Haiku

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 16:42:57 UTC 2018

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 02:18:34PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 03:09:16PM +0100, François Revol wrote:
>>> Possibly use something like this?
>>>
>>> qemuioargs="-f raw"
>>> qemu-io -h | grep -- -f > /dev/null 2>&1 || qemuioargs=""
>>>
>>> qemu-io $qemuioargs ...
>>>
>>> Seems to work here.
>>
>> Yes we could do something like that, but perhaps with a better name
>> such as ‘$qemu_io_format_raw_args’.
>
> I looked into this further.  Unfortunately although we are able to
> work around the missing ‘-f’ flag using this technique, we are still
> no closer to having the tests pass.  This old qemu does not support
> various other features we need, at least:
>
>   - newstyle protocol
>
>   - --image-opts parameter
>
>   - TLS client
>
> It looks a bit hopeless trying to get the nbdkit tests to work with
> this version of qemu, although of course this is only a test and does
> not stop nbdkit itself from working (eg. if you use a non-qemu client
> or qemu client is running on another machine).

I'd lean towards skipping tests if qemu-io is too old for how we intend
to use it. You're right that it doesn't affect nbdkit itself, but
skipping is better than failing if we know the test environment is not
going to work.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266