[Libguestfs] VM migration help required.

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 09:27:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Nitin Rane <Nitin.Rane at techmahindra.com>
wrote:

> Hi Arik,Shahar,

(Adding libguestfs mailing-list)

Hi Nitin,

> I am looking to migrate VMs from Openstack Juno to Openstack Newton and
> from VMWare to Openstack Newton.
>
> While doing google search I came across the link authored by you,
> https://ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/virt-v2v-integration/
> .
>
> Did the tool discussed in the link would be suitable for above requirement
> ?

I did not find any download link of the tool, if the tool is open source
> then can you share the download link.

No, that feature is about wrapping virt-v2v in order to provide end-users
of oVirt with a better process for importing VMs to oVirt. It is irrelevant
for OpenStack.

> Right now I am looking to execute a PoC project to demonstrate that the
> “VM migration from Openstack Juno to Openstack Newton and from VMWare to
> Openstack Newton” is possible using virt-v2v.

The virt-v2v tool, which is part of libguestfs, is ideal for converting VMs
from foreign hypervisors to KVM, and from VMware to OpenStack in
particular, see [1].
However, as far as I know, it is not supposed to be used for converting
from one version of OpenStack to another, you could probably do that
differently.

[1] http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html