[Libguestfs] guestfs launch failed in CentOS 7.5

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 08:30:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 08:26:15AM +0530, Sarbajit Chatterjee wrote:
> Thanks for the response. One question I have is - my host machine is
> running CentOS 7.5 and the guest image is based on RHEL 7.5. I did check
> following on the host machine and there is no package called qemu-kvm-rhev
> installed.
>
> rpm -qa | grep qemu-kvm
> qemu-kvm-1.5.3-156.el7_5.5.x86_64
> qemu-kvm-common-1.5.3-156.el7_5.5.x86_64
>
> Same results for RHEL 7.5 guest VM, it doesn't have qemu-kvm-rhev
> installed. Though the bug mentioned by you (id = 1613277) looks similar, it
> is reported on RHEL 7.6.

I'm very sure it's bug 1613277.  As you say that bug was found & fixed
in qemu-kvm-rhev.  It does make me wonder if we have also broken it in
qemu-kvm.

In any case ...

> Is it same for CentOS 7.5 as well? And will there be a fix for CentOS based
> systems?

RHEL 7.6 is actually being released today, so CentOS 7.6 will be
available soon, but you'll have to ask the CentOS mailing lists to
find out exactly when.

You could switch to the ‘qemu-kvm-ev’ package in CentOS which is a
more full-featured hypervisor (although it may contain the above bug
until 7.6 comes out).

You could also use the upstream qemu as a workaround by compiling it
locally and setting a single environment variable:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#how-can-i-compile-and-install-libguestfs-if-my-distro-doesnt-have-new-enough-qemu-supermin-kernel

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v