[Libguestfs] OpenStack output - server_id

Nenad Peric nperic at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 19:15:53 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 10:00:21AM +0200, Fabien Dupont wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Fabien, sorry I didn't respond to this earlier as I was doing some
> work.  If you CC me on emails then you can usually get a quicker
> response.
>
> > I've read the virt-v2v OpenStack output code to understand how it works
> and
> > I've seen this:
> >
> > >   (* The server name or UUID of the conversion appliance where
> > >    * virt-v2v is currently running.  In future we may be able
> > >    * to make this optional and derive it from the OpenStack
> > >    * metadata service instead.
> > >    *)
> > >   server_id : string;
> >
> > Indeed, it can be derived from OpenStack metadata service. The following
> > URL called from within the conversion appliance will return the metadata:
> > http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/meta_data.json. As you can see,
> the
> > IP address is 169.254.169.254, which will is the metadata service. The
> JSON
> > body contains a uuid entry that is the current appliance UUID, hence the
> > server_id used by virt-v2v.
>
> We certainly do want to do this, although there was some concern about
> whether the metadata service is enabled on every OpenStack instance
> out there.  (Also there are two different types of metadata service IIRC?)

This concrete approach will not work in our current deployment, since the
metadata service is not there.
The infrastructure was made in such a way that the IP addressing and
network configuration
is done on the provider side. This means that all the information VMs are
getting, are coming
from the lab network. I am thinking a way around this if possible. I'll try
out different OSP network
configurations and see if I can come up with something which will keep IP,
MAC and routing consistent
after migration, and still have an isolated metadata service on the OSP
side.

>  (Unfortunately the connection hung
> for minutes instead of timing out quickly, which is not great.)

yeah ... That is not the friendliest of approaches, but it waits for a
pre-defined timeout someplace.

Cheers,

Nenad