[Libguestfs] Can virt-v2v-copy-to-local be used? (#41)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 07:38:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 12:13:52AM -0700, asmi10 wrote:
> Hello Currently I am using virt-v2v-copy-to-local on SLES for
> fetching disks from vmware ESXI hosts and converting them to kvm, it
> works fine so far. But I see this tool status is deprecated in
> github.
>
> Should I expect any possible issue with this tool?

It's kind of obsolete and I expect we'll remove it at some point.
There are several alternative methods that can be used.

If you just want to copy the disks, enable SSH access to your hosts
and simply scp them.  You will have to copy the *.vmx and *.vmdk files
from under /vmfs/...  These can be converted locally using the
virt-v2v -i vmx mode.

However even easier than that, virt-v2v -i vmx mode has a subflag -it
ssh which will copy and convert from ssh automatically (and more
efficiently too because it doesn't need to copy everything).

This is all covered in the virt-v2v-input-vmware(1) manual page.