[Libguestfs] Libguestfs with Yara rules error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 08:46:51 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 09:19:47AM +0100, Luis wrote:
> I am using libguestfs 1.40.2 and yara 3.11.0 but when I execute my program
> it thoughts the following error:
>
> $> ./yara-guestfs
> libguestfs: error: yara_load: feature 'libyara' is not available in this
> build of libguestfs.  Read 'AVAILABILITY' in the guestfs(3) man page for
>
> If we check the manual, in guestfs appears guestfs_yara_load function so
> libyara is installed. I installed and compiled it from tarballs.

This function:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/4aa4edf972bc8df8869cdcaa4ab4f40b63a626cf/daemon/yara.c#L308

returns 1 if HAVE_YARA is defined.  This is defined by this
./configure test:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/4aa4edf972bc8df8869cdcaa4ab4f40b63a626cf/m4/guestfs-daemon.m4#L128

In other words it depends how libguestfs was configured.  Where
did you get libguestfs from?  How was it compiled?