[Libguestfs] virt-v2v: default graphics driver for SUSE guests

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 10:07:55 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

in 2013 you added the support for SUSE guests in the old virt-v2v (the
one written in Perl); the commit doing it is attached, since the old
virt-v2v was hosted on fedorahosted.org, which is no more.
As part of that change, the default graphics driver was changed to be
cirrus for SUSE guests, and qxl (as before) for any other.

When Rich Jones rewrote virt-v2v in 2014 in OCaml, he kept the same
logic [1]; this is still there today [2], and none of the other
SUSE-related changes that were done (mostly by another SUSE guy,
Cédric Bosdonnat) changed that in any way.

My question is: is using cirrus still the best choice for SUSE guests?
If not, what about using qxl as well, as done for any non-SUSE guest?
(We can also do that depending on the version of the guest, in case
only newer SUSE versions work fine with qxl).

[1] https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commit/3d1cb74b3eee51c5d015032ad964892be914ea9c
[2] https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/convert_linux.ml#L774

Thanks,
--