[Libguestfs] few things I found about virt-p2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Mar 30 13:59:21 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 04:32:31PM +0300, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 4:23 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > It could well be a bug, but take a look at the virt-p2v logs which are
> > saved under /tmp/virt-p2v-* on the conversion server.  That will tell
> > you what exact command line was used.
> >

> I did, and I'm enclosing gzipped copy of the file. Line 4197 clearly shows
> it got the correct parameter:
> Initializing the target -o libvirt -os NAS-10G

Ah I see.  This is a limitation:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/f79129b8dc92470e3a5597daf53c84038bd6859e/v2v/output_libvirt.ml#L107

Actually not one that I recall from before (the vast majority of
people using virt-p2v are either creating a file or writing to
RHV/OpenStack/etc).

However this should be easy enough to work around: Set the output
(-os) to some directory on the conversion appliance with plenty of
space.  Do the conversion, you'll end up with a libvirt XML file and
the disk images as files.  Then use normal ‘virsh’ commands to copy
the disk images to the pool you actually want to use, adjust the
libvirt XML to point to the pool, and create the VM also using ‘virsh’
commands.  Would suggest reading the libvirt documentation if unsure
about these steps.