[Libguestfs] few things I found about virt-p2v

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at hetz.biz
Sat Mar 30 16:55:49 UTC 2019

Hi,

>    1.  Is it possible to add to the virt-p2v-make-disk program a parameter
> >    to add kernel parameters? (right now I have to create the image and
> edit
> >    manually the grub.conf file in the image in order to edit them) - this
> >    could help in situations where someone cannot setup PXE.
>
> The real issue here is what file in the image to edit and how.
>
> You could try editing virt-p2v-make-disk (or a local copy of it) and
> add something to the long virt-builder command right near the end of
> the file.  I would suggest adding an --edit option such as:
>
>   --edit '/etc/grub/grub.conf: s/linux (.*)/linux $1 your_parameter=foo/' \
>
> At the end I simply used guestmount to mount the image, and edited
manually the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and added the parameters.

BTW: I couldn't find a way to tell it to map the NIC to a bridge in the
virt-manager, which parameter should it be?

> >    2. Is there a way to create the image as a bootable ISO? Hyper-V for
> >    example, doesn't like standard "hard disk" images. I see that kiwi
> has this
> >    functionality, but it's only for SuSE.
>
> I actually tried at one point to create a bootable ISO from a
> virt-builder image, but totally failed to make anything work ...
> You could try the kickstart approach (ie. virt-p2v-make-kickstart) but
> then you're in a world of other painful tools such as livecd-creator.

I found a workaround for this - qemu-img convert to VHDX, then - no need
for ISO ;)

 Thanks for your help. I hope within the next few hours to record a video
and upload to youtube about using virt-p2v.