[Libguestfs] Planning for libnbd 1.2

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 09:08:15 UTC 2019

[I'm quite convinced I wrote this down in an email before, but I
cannot find it.  Maybe we only talked about it on IRC?  Anyway, my
apologies if this is a repeat ...]

We're planning to add libnbd to RHEL & CentOS 8.x, likely in
RHEL AV 8.2 and CentOS 8.2 or 8.3.  It would be nice to get some of
the new features added upstream since 1.0 was released, such as:

 - fast zeroing
 - ability to negotiate SRs, handshake flags
 - connect to systemd socket activated servers like qemu-nbd
 - vsock support
 - NBD URI filtering
 - nbdfuse
 - much improved documentation
 - reproducible builds

Upstream-only changes, but still useful:

 - fuzzing support
 - common nbd-protocol.h
 - wider test coverage, particularly TLS interop
 - more examples

So I think in the next week or two we could do a libnbd 1.2 (stable)
release.  The main task is to review the new APIs and make sure
they're something that we wish to support long-term:

  https://github.com/libguestfs/libnbd/blob/d94e69f685b360597df0a3551fe2744d54821e62/generator/generator#L3009

For reference also, 1.0 was released at the end of August, so this
would mean 1.2 releasing about 2½ - 3 months after.