[Libguestfs] Building libguestfs from git

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 13:40:42 UTC 2019

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 01:47:18PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

>>> Quite possibly, it's early days.  One thing you will definitely need
>>> to do is:
>>>
>>>    git submodule init
>>>    git submodule update
>>
>> Should ./autogen.sh take on this role automatically?
>
> Probably, although I'm not quite sure how ./autogen.sh comes about.
> Is it an arbitrary script that every project rewrites?  How is it
> related to ./bootstrap?

./autogen.sh and ./bootstrap are the two most common names for said
script (I prefer bootstrap, as there is an actual project named Autogen
that is unrelated to what autogen.sh typically does).  And yes, it tends
to be something that each project writes: neither Autoconf nor Automake
provide the script.  I'm not aware of any place that purports to provide
a commonly reusable ./autogen.sh; gnulib does provide a
somewhat-reusable ./bootstrap (which may work for libguestfs as it uses
gnulib, but won't work for things like nbdkit that can't use gnulib).
So we get to tweak it however we want, and copy-and-paste things that
work from one place to another.

> Looking at git history, it seems I added a trivial version which just
> did autoreconf back in 2009, and most of the work was done on it early
> on by Jim Meyering.

Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org