[Libguestfs] Dealing with ImageIO problems

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 15:50:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 1:39 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> [Adding the mailing list address back]
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 12:44:38PM +0200, Nir Soffer wrote:

> > > I believe this is a bug in nbdkit’s python bindings.  Will take a
> > > closer look and reply in a new thread.  I don't believe it affects
> > > anything here however.

> > > That sounds bad?
> >
> > Indeed, but we never had this issue in real environment.
> >
> > Basically we should handle any exception in the plugin as failure,
> > but I'm not sure where we should fix it.
> >
> > We can add error handler around all the entry points
> > (e.g. pwrite()), setting h['failed'] = True. But this makes it
> > harder to write correct plugins; everyone has to ensure correct
> > error handling instead of getting it right by default.
>
> In nbdkit-python-plugin, any exception which escapes will be caught in
> the C code and turned into an NBD error on the wire.  The function
> which does this is:
>
>   https://github.com/libguestfs/nbdkit/blob/a52ebb4e8d18a73b9ae009cd768bfab18505f59a/plugins/python/python.c#L189
>
> Since each plugin method corresponds* (* = mostly) to a single NBD
> command on the wire, returning an error from the method signals an
> error back to the NBD client.  If the NBD client is ‘qemu-img convert’
> then it will exit the first time it sees an error.
>
> (The retry filter http://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-retry-filter.1.html
> changes this behaviour, but we are not using that for output to
> rhv-upload.)
>
> > We can handle this in the python plugin (e.g. h['failed'] = True)
> > but the handle is controlled by the plugin, so this does not sound
> > like a good way.
>
> The close() method is always called, whether or not there was an
> error.  The same connection handle (‘h’) is passed back to the close
> method.  It's quite safe and normal to store state in this handle.
>
> nbdkit itself doesn't save the fact that there was an error during the
> connection (it can't since it doesn't know if the error was
> recoverable or not).  But rhv-upload-plugin needs to handle failed vs
> successful transfers differently.  Thus we save the failure state in
> the handle the first time we see an error.
>
> > Maybe we can change close() to:
> >
> >     def close(failed=True):
> >         if failed:
> >             # cleanup after some call failed
> >
> >         # Cleanup after successful run
> >
> > The python plugin will remember unhandled errors and will call:
> >
> >     close(failed=True)
> >
> > To write correct plugin author must not handle fatal errors in the plugin.
>
> This changes how the Python plugin would work versus other plugins,
> and the C code can't know if the NBD connection failed, because some
> NBD errors are recoverable.  Also the client does not send us any
> error indication when it disconnects.
>
> The answer is probably to wrap every method in a big try...except
> which sets the failed flag in the handle.

Implemented in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2019-November/msg00147.html

This works with current plugin, and can be backported to downstream if needed.

However it makes it harder to write plugins in python. The basic idea is that
not handling an error in python will crash with a traceback *without* having to
do anything. It would be best if the python plugin ensure this.

If we want to support recoverable errors, we can define a special
RecoverableError
exception that signal the python plugin that this request failed, but
the error is not
fatal.

We can also define more specific errors like UnsupportedOperation, for
example if
plugin's zero() fail and the author wants nbdkit to stop calling
zero() and emulate
it with write.

Nir