[Libguestfs] Thoughts on nbdkit automatic reconnection

Nenad Peric nperic at redhat.com
Thu Sep 19 11:42:25 UTC 2019

I have an update on the networking issue:
- After the deep dive into the logs of the firewall by customer's security
team, it turns out that even though there were some disconnections, the
time-stamps do not match.
 This means that we got the disconnected by something else (ESXi or
conversion host perhaps)
- As we mentioned in the chat briefly, there could be general keep-alive
issues on both RHEL (conversion host) and ESXi side.
 We changed the keep-alive settings in RHEL, but could not find the
equvalent in VMware as of yet.
- I found on a few spots that there are some vddk (vixDiskLib.nfc*)
settings which can configure NFC keep-alives and timeouts, but I do not
understand it deeply enough to see if anything would help.

Whatever may be the cause, a retry filter would most likely solve the
problem.

Since we are fairly certain that we would encounter another failure with
VDDK how the situation stands now, we are trying SSH transport to see how
that will go.

Cheers,

*Nenad Perić*

PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER