[Libguestfs] Can I use guestfish to benchmark qemu performance?

chl501 at tutanota.com chl501 at tutanota.com
Thu Apr 2 21:27:57 UTC 2020

I come across this page libguestfs.org/guestfs-performance.1.html <http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-performance.1.html> This raises my interest. I am currently learning how to benchmark performance qemu. So here is my questions:

1. Can I use guestfish or any tools provided by libguestfs to benchmark qemu? How? (The command I use below is correct or what's the correct command to execute it?)

The preliminarily run I use is "time guestfish --ro -a disk.img -i exit run -v -x" and its output on console wrt the time are

real	0m3.713s
user	0m1.968s
sys	0m0.741s

There many output with -v -x params enabled

guestfsd: => internal_autosync (0x11a) took 0.05 secs
libguestfs: trace: internal_autosync = 0
libguestfs: sending SIGTERM to process 11629
libguestfs: qemu maxrss 235720K
libguestfs: trace: shutdown = 0
libguestfs: trace: close
libguestfs: closing guestfs handle 0x562ae3df6c10 (state 0)
libguestfs: command: run: rm
libguestfs: command: run: \ -rf /tmp/libguestfsIDYj9s
libguestfs: command: run: rm
libguestfs: command: run: \ -rf /run/user/1000/libguestfs2SKM4c

2. If the tool such as guestfish (or any other tools provided by libguestfs) can be used to benchmark qemu's performance, is it possible to identify the execution time spent on different processes e.g. init? How?

3. How do I interpret the output with -v -x for the command guestfish (like the command being executed below)?

Thanks for help.