[Libguestfs] using SPDX tags in libnbd and/or nbdkit?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 21:28:46 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 01:23:11PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> As the topic has been coming up in other projects recently (for
> example, see
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt-ci/-/merge_requests/39), should
> we update our files to either add SPDX tags, or even outright
> condense our existing copyright blurbs down to an SPDX tag plus
> documentation in a top-level file?  The former (adding a line) is
> less problematic, the latter definitely requires buy-in from all
> contributors (although the list of contributors is relatively small,
> so it might be easy enough to get such buy-in).

I strongly disagree with dropping existing boilerplate, because it
most precisely describes the license (especially for nbdkit / BSD
license where it completely describes the license).  At the end of the
day the law is still processed by humans.

However I'm fine with adding SPDX tags to files in both projects since
it will improve automatic checking.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v