[Libguestfs] More parallelism in VDDK driver (was: Re: CFME-5.11.7.3 Perf. Tests)

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 14:18:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 04:49:04PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> > I see, can change the python plugin to support multiple connections to imageio
> > using SERIALIZE_REQUESTS?
> >
> > The GiL should not limit us since the GIL is released when you write to
> > imageio socket, and this is likely where the plugin spends most of the time.
>
> It's an interesting question and one I'd not really considered at all.
> Does the Python GIL actively mutex different threads if they call into
> Python code at the same time?

Yes, only one thread can run python code at the same time, there is no
way around this. But before calling most syscalls, python releases the GIL.
When the syscall returns, python acquires the GIL again.

But thread can be switched at any point in time, so must use locking
in the python if you modify or access shared state.

>  If it's truly a lock, then it should,
> in which case it should be safe to change the Python plugin to
> PARALLEL ...

Using multiple threads on the same http socket will not work, you must have
multiple sockets to imageio.