[Libguestfs] How to build virt-v2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 11:12:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 02:01:58PM +0300, Andrey Shinkevich wrote:
> Hello Richard!
>
> Would you please advise how to build virt-v2v?
>
> I cloned it as 'git clone https://github.com/libguestfs/virt-v2v.git'
> Then I ran commands similar to building libguesfs:
> git submodule update --init
> CFLAGS=-fPIC ./autogen.sh
>
> and got the error message:
>
> checking for LIBGUESTFS... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (libguestfs >= 1.40) were not met:
>
> No package 'libguestfs' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBGUESTFS_CFLAGS
> and LIBGUESTFS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.

The error message comes from this line:

https://github.com/libguestfs/virt-v2v/blob/b4d737364d858959421e788a5eddd45ddcab6cde/m4/guestfs-libraries.m4#L21

The PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro is described in the pkg-config(1) man
page, and also there's this description:

https://autotools.io/pkgconfig/pkg_check_modules.html

> But I do have the libguestfs installed and met the version requirement:
>
> yum info libguestfs
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, fastestmirror, langpacks,
> priorities, product-id, rhsm-auto-add-pools, search-disabled-repos,
> va, virtuozzo, vzlinux, yum-plugin-readykernel
> Trying to discover and attach new pools
> 266 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Installed Packages
> Name        : libguestfs
> Arch        : x86_64
> Epoch       : 1
> Version     : 1.40.2
> Release     : 9.vz7.9
> Size        : 2.3 M
> Repo        : installed
> From repo   : virtuozzo-os

You probably also need libguestfs-devel, since the macro is really
looking for libguestfs.pc (probably /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libguestfs.pc).

Rich.