[Libguestfs] Plans for nbdkit 1.18 release?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 23:03:18 UTC 2020

> Hi Eric,
>
> nbdkit 1.16 was released over 3 months ago, and there has been quite a
> lot of upstream development since then, so it could be about time for
> a new stable release.  Anything in particular that you would like to
> get in to 1.18?  Or anything we've added that you have reservations
> about supporting long-term?

My biggest worry is whether we want to make python API version 2 plugins
support an optional flags parameter.  I think we decided that for
version 1 plugins, making .zero's may_trim argument optional was not
worth it.  But especially given that things like .pread currently always
pass a flags=0 parameter, making it optional for API version 2 is still
worth pursuing.  As you recall, I did post potential glue code for
optional parameters, but it was different than the code we eventually
took when adding API version 2 support, and I have not yet had time to
rebase the salvageable parts of my patches.

On the other hand, releasing 1.18 with mandatory flags= parameter in
python plugins, and later relaxing it when we figure out the glue code,
shouldn't be a problem.  It is not backwards incompatible to make a
once-required parameter become optional.  So I don't see it as holding
up a release.

My proposal to add an NBD_INFO_INIT_STATE extension is still pending on
multiple fronts (approval at the NBD spec, and a rewrite of both qemu
and nbdkit patches to address review comments); I'm not worried if that
misses 1.18.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226