[Libguestfs] Cross-project NBD extension proposal: NBD_INFO_INIT_STATE

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Wed Feb 12 07:27:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:52:55PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> But anyway ... could a flag indicating that the whole image is sparse
> be useful, either as well as NBD_INIT_SPARSE or instead of it?  You
> could use it to avoid an initial disk trim, which is something that
> mke2fs does:

Yeah, I think that could definitely be useful. I honestly can't see a
use for NBD_INIT_SPARSE as defined in this proposal; and I don't think
it's generally useful to have a feature if we can't think of a use case
for it (that creates added complexity for no benefit).

If we can find a reasonable use case for NBD_INIT_SPARSE as defined in
this proposal, then just add a third bit (NBD_INIT_ALL_SPARSE or
something) that says "the whole image is sparse". Otherwise, I think we
should redefine NBD_INIT_SPARSE to say that.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard