[Libguestfs] Cross-project NBD extension proposal: NBD_INFO_INIT_STATE

Max Reitz mreitz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 15:13:55 UTC 2020

Hi,

It’s my understanding that without some is_zero infrastructure for QEMU,
it’s impossible to implement this flag in qemu’s NBD server.

At the same time, I still haven’t understood what we need the flag for.

As far as I understood in our discussion on your qemu series, there is
no case where anyone would need to know whether an image is zero.  All
practical cases involve someone having to ensure that some image is
zero.  Knowing whether an image is zero can help with that, but that can
be an implementation detail.

For qcow2, the idea would be that there is some flag that remains true
as long as the image is guaranteed to be zero.  Then we’d have some
bdrv_make_zero function, and qcow2’s implementation would use this
information to gauge whether there’s something to do as all.

For NBD, we cannot use this idea directly because to implement such a
flag (as you’re describing in this mail), we’d need separate is_zero
infrastructure, and that kind of makes the point of “drivers’
bdrv_make_zero() implementations do the right thing by themselves” moot.

OTOH, we wouldn’t need such a flag for the implementation, because we
could just send a 64-bit discard/make_zero over the whole block device
length to the NBD server, and then the server internally does the right
thing(TM).  AFAIU discard and write_zeroes currently have only 32 bit
length fields, but there were plans for adding support for 64 bit
versions anyway.  From my naïve outsider perspective, doing that doesn’t
seem a more complicated protocol addition than adding some way to tell
whether an NBD export is zero.

So I’m still wondering whether there are actually cases where we need to
tell whether some image or NBD export is zero that do not involve making
it zero if it isn’t.

(I keep asking because it seems to me that if all we ever really want to
do is to ensure that some images/exports are zero, we should implement
that.)

Max