[Libguestfs] python3-libguestfs for EPEL request

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 14:19:31 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:06:45PM +0000, Nick Howitt wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> I am using ClearOS7 (a Centos 7 derivative which also uses EPEL) and
> am using various packages in the EPEL repository. I am interested in
> seeing python3-libguestfs added to EPEL in order to use wok-3.0.0
> and kimchi-3.0.0.
>
> Would it be possible for you to maintain the package in EPEL? If not
> do you know of a maintainer who could help you with it? While EPEL
> is more conservative in package maintenance, it does allow for
> updates to later versions when needed.

I've no objection to adding it to EPEL 7, but there could be some
technical difficulties.

We distribute libguestfs 1.40.2 in RHEL 7.7 (see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1621895).  This has a Python 2 subpackage
called python-libguestfs.  So you'd have to add python3-libguestfs as
a new package in EPEL 7.  It's possible to package only the Python
bindings as an RPM although I don't know anyone who has actually done
it so far.

Note also there is a python3-libguestfs package shipped in RHEL 8+ so
we'd have to be careful not to ship a higher NVR number than that
package.  Currently it's
python3-libguestfs-1.40.2-20.module+el8.2.0+5433+9e1420c8

> If you are not interested in EPEL or don't feel like you have the
> time to put your packages into EPEL, the EPEL project would like to
> request that a co-maintainer who is a part of EPEL be added to your
> packages.
>
> The EPEL team appreciate your help with EPEL.

Please suggest a maintainer.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v