[Libguestfs] New Rust bindings for nbdkit

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 13:22:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 04:19:08PM -0600, alan somers wrote:
> The existing Rust bindings for nbdkit aren't very idiomatic Rust, and they
> are missing a lot of features.  So I've rewritten them.  The new bindings
> aren't backwards compatible, but I doubt that's a problem.  Most likely,
> nobody has tried to use them yet, since the crate hasn't even published to
> crates.io.  Please review the attached patch.
> -Alan

Thanks Alan, and sorry for the delayed reply.  It just happened that
this email arrived before a long weekend.

First a note that it was a bit of a manual process for me to apply
this because I think it was prepared using "git diff"(?)  If you use
"git format-patch" or (better) "git send-email" for future patches
then that's much easier.  However I was able to apply and review it.

I have pushed it, but added a few changes which I will summarise below:

 * Some lines had trailing whitespace, removed.  These are only
   allowed in POD where it is used for verbatim sections.

 * In VERSION docs we usually refer only to stable (even-numbered)
   releases, so I replaced 1.21.9 -> 1.22.

 * Remove plugins/rust/Cargo.toml from .gitignore.

 * Several newly added files were missing from EXTRA_DIST
   (make && make dist && make maintainer-check-extra-dist
   will find these in future).

This will create small rebase problems for you if you've made further
changes, but hopefully nothing that isn't easily fixable.

Other issues:

 * The license removed this clause:

   -// * Neither the name of Red Hat nor the names of its contributors may be
   -// used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
   -// specific prior written permission.

   I believe this removal simply makes the license even more
   permissive, so that's fine.  However I will check with our legal
   people.  Also you should add license headers to the new files
   plugins/rust/tests/*.rs.  Essentially every file should have a
   license, and correct licensing is very important to us.

 * Although the build works (or doesn't break), make check doesn't
   appear to run the tests.