[Libguestfs] ANNOUNCE: supermin 5.2.0 - a tool for creating and distributing tiny appliances

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 12:35:17 UTC 2020

Supermin is a tool that we use to create and distribute the tiny
libguestfs appliance.  The tool has been in development since 2009 and
was renamed from ‘febootstrap’ to ‘supermin’ in 2013.  To find out
more about this tool, see: http://libguestfs.org/supermin.1.html

I have just released supermin 5.2.0.

This is a stable branch version.  Previously we didn't really have a
split between stable and development releases, but I intend to
maintain a 5.2 stable branch and a 5.3 development branch with
stablising patches being periodically backported to the 5.2 branch.

The just-released libguestfs 1.42 requires supermin >= 5.1.18.
Ideally if you are packaging libguestfs 1.42, please use supermin 5.2.0
with it since it contains many patches which fix problems that are
seen only with newer Linux kernels.  (However this is not required.)
Also supermin 5.2.0 will work with earlier versions of libguestfs, so
upgrading should generally be safe.

I have added supermin 5.2.0 to Fedora 31, 32 and Rawhide.