[Libguestfs] nbdkit Assertion `h->can_flush == 1' failed on Arch

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 14:15:58 UTC 2020

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nbdkit/#comment-733981 reports that
> tests-parallel-nbd.sh hangs.  Looking at the log file from the test
> reveals:
>
> nbdkit: backend.c:523: backend_flush: Assertion `h->can_flush == 1' failed.

I can confirm the hang.

> I've attached the full log.  If you want to see other logs from the
> run (probably not relevant) then download
> https://svenne.dk/nbdkit-20200315/nbdkit-logs-20200315.tar.gz
>
> I believe the assertion comes from calling flush when can_flush
> previously returned false, but also I don't quite understand why the
> server is doing this.
>
> However I think the wider problem is that the reporter is using the
> non-libnbd "standalone" nbd plugin.  I basically never test this any
> longer.  I wonder if we should think about either having a way to
> routinely test it despite libnbd being installed, or simply dropping
> it?

My plan is to patch the bug, backport the patch to the stable branches,
and then remove the file for the next major release.  libnbd is now
stable enough that I'm comfortable enough having nbdkit 1.20 depend on
libnbd (and only the stable releases, like 1.18.2, will still have the
option of building a limited nbd plugin without libnbd).

> I will ask the reporter if they can try installing libnbd.

Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org