[Libguestfs] nbdkit / mingw support

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 20:59:33 UTC 2020

On 3/24/20 3:12 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

>> (For non-mingw platforms) this breaks the source API promises rather
>> seriously, so if I understand your proposal correctly I don't think
>> this is a good idea.  It's possibly something we can consider for
>> internal plugins, or for the V3 API.
>
> How does it break API to request that someone link against a particular
> library if they want to avoid undefined symbols (and to continue to
> allow the to link with undefined symbols if they choose not to compile
> against that library)?

I guess what I haven't said yet is that the existing proposed patches
from Frank for making mingw compile are NOT the right way to resolve the
need for -no-undefined on that platform.  Instead of creating lots of
wrapper functions buried inside #ifdef WINDOWS_COMPAT, we really should
be focusing on creating a clean libnbdkit.so/dll library that exposes
all of the needed symbols without the need for preprocessor magic, and
therefore without API breaks.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226