[Libguestfs] libguestfs-tools failure that I can't figure out

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Tue May 26 07:04:42 UTC 2020

On Monday, 25 May 2020 04:15:23 CEST Ben Wellborn wrote:
> I'm not sure of the history of the server's libpcap install.  Too many
> chefs and only one pot.  I know, that doesn't help.  Your question did
> prompt me to check versions and discover that there's a 1.9.0 version in
> the BaseOS repo.  I removed the previous package and loaded the new one.
>
> a quick ldd test
> ~]# ldd /usr/lib/systemd/systemd | grep libpcap
>     libpcap.so.1 => /lib64/libpcap.so.1 (0x00007fc395a38000)

This looks fine.

Also, looking at the libpcap-and-rebuild-testing.txt you provided
previously, it looked like there is a package, pfring, that installs
libpcap in /usr/local/lib:

supermin: rpm: multiple providers: requirement libpcap.so.1()(64bit): providers: libpcap pfring
supermin: rpm: multiple providers: picked pfring

At least according to a quick search, it seems that this is the case:
https://centos.pkgs.org/7/forensics-x86_64/pfring-7.6.0-2990.x86_64.rpm.html
This is... bad: a package that:
- installs a library in /usr/local
- may override a system-critical library
- even RPM-provides the system library (!)
This is a scholar example of things that can go wrong when packaging
local stuff :-/

Do you still have that package installed? Can you please try by
temporarly removing it?

> but when I ran virt-sysprep it complains about libpcap again:
> "systemd-tmpfiles: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Try to clean the cached libguestfs appliance before, using
$ rm -rf /var/tmp/.guestfs-$(id -u)

--
Pino Toscano