[Libguestfs] virt-sparsify failed (was: [oVirt Jenkins] ovirt-system-tests_basic-suite-master_nightly - Build # 479 - Failure!)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 17:40:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 07:56:29PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:15 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 06:45:42PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> > > I think this is the right solution - when virt-something tool fails,
> > > it should log the reason for the failure - the error that caused the
> > > tool to fail. I'm not sure this is easy to do as the failing code
> > > run inside a special VM. Maybe the code running in the VM should log
> > > the output in a machine readable way, so once an error is detected
> > > virt-something can report the error as the reason, without running
> > > in debug mode.
> >
> > All the virt-* tools that I've written have a non-zero exit code and
> > print an error message on stderr when they fail.  Errors from inside
> > the appliance are propagated to the library and thence to the tool
> > correctly.
> >
> > I think the best thing to do is:
> >
> >  - spool up stdout + stderr from the tool
> >
> >  - if the exit code != 0, save the spooled output for analysis
> >
> >  - if the exit code == 0, discard it (or keep it if you like)
>
> This is what we already do, and the result is not helpful. If you look
> at the log message in the previous message, basically the only
> info about the error is:
>
>     libguestfs error: guestfs_launch failed
>
> I don't see what we can do with this error message.

Right, so in this particular instance the error message would tell us
that you should run libguestfs-test-tool because your qemu/kernel/etc
is broken in some way :-/

There's not a particularly good answer here if you don't want to ever
use LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG/LIBGUESTFS_TRACE, but perhaps you could run
libguestfs-test-tool if you see any error which matches the substring
/guestfs_launch/ ?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW