Re: [Libguestfs] Build failure of libnbd

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 01:36:03PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:03:36AM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:08:26PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:48:13PM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:
>>The list of packages is something I will have to go through anyway,
>>for not it is just a list taken from libvirt CI container with bunch
>>of things added for libnbd.
>
>Ideally it should be driven from ”dnf builddep libnbd”, directly or
>indirectly.  For golang ...

Well, I was aiming for upstream, not just Fedora.  Also that would
not work when you add a new dependency.  I think of CI as something
that should strive to work and not take any extra time once it is
properly set up.  But who knows, maybe I won't finish it.

I see - sounds like we need a machine-readable cross-distro way to
describe dependencies.  Ideally in groups, like "minimal"
dependencies, "test only", "maximum features" etc.  We could even
translate these automatically or semi-automatically into spec files,
debian directory etc.  This would be nice to have but I'm not aware of
a way to do this.  Didn't Andrea describe something like this
recently?

Yes, they are listed in a file and there is a mapping.  Sure, ideally we would
plug this into the libvirt-ci machinery, but unfortunately for starters that has
become too big of a hammer for this kind of nail.  Also it works nicely when it
is done on GitLab as GitHub has a different way of running their own CI.
However first I need to make sure that this is something worth investing in
after I try to deploy the auto-update of libnbd-go.  We can also expand it onto
all libguestfs repos, but that's a long way ahead of us.

Rich.