[Libguestfs] [libguestfs] Problem building appliance/guestfsd.deps on debian

Hilko Bengen bengen at debian.org
Fri Aug 27 14:31:17 UTC 2021

* Richard W.M. Jones:

> We have a report of a problem with building appliance/guestfsd.deps on
> Debian 10.  This code which you contributed:
>
> https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commit/133a49167778195f0cf043a1d380c60956aa46b1
>
> seems to cause problems with certain libraries which are symlinks.  In
> particular:
>
> dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libacl.so.1

I suppose that the problematic symlink is not

    libacl.so.1 -> libacl.so.1.1.2253 (or similar)

but rather

    /lib -> /usr/lib

"ldconfig -p" lists only /lib/<triplet> paths because its configuration
(at least on my systems) prefers /lib/<triplet> befreo
/usr/lib/<triplet>.

Since my contributed code was inspired by what dpkg-shlibdeps does, I
suspect that its maintainers might have run into similar problems when
usrmerge was introduced. I'll investigate what solution they came up
with (because I can't think of anything foolproof).

Cheers,
-Hilko